Friday, November 2, 2012

Weirdness

Well it's been an odd week. For starters, I've only been at my job for three and a half weeks now, and on Monday, they fired the other person who does my job and trained me. Needless to say, I was more than a little freaked out. First I felt like I stole her job...like they'd hired me to fire her. Which I've never experienced before cause well...they don't bring in new students to replace you in academia.  And that felt super wrong. I'm still not quite sure of the reason why they fired her, they gave a bunch of excuses saying it was their failure, she wasn't doing the work correctly, etc etc. So I'm just trying to deal with it and get over it for now. 

Second...navy issues haha. I don't really know if I can talk about it, so we'll just stick with once again, the Navy is trying to give me a heart attack. 

Finally, while I know that New York/New Jersey got hit really bad, mine and the fiance's apartment in Virginia also got hit by Sandy. From what I've seen picture wise, it doesn't look too bad near our apartment. Granted we live across the street from Chesapeake Bay...so there's a fair amount of water sitting on the streets (at least in pictures...I'm not there to be seeing it first hand). And because of the heart-attack-enducing-Navy-issue...he's not there either. So hopefully he'll hear from our landlord and the apartment's all good. Sigh.



And I really can't complain about this too much seeing and knowing all the destruction Sandy caused...but the furnace at my parents' house broke yesterday. So it's kinda cold. I'm not that bothered by the cold, but it's really making my knees and ankles ache. Other than that...not too big of a deal haha.

I've been really terrible about posting academia-related things as of late. I haven't really missed it as much as I thought I would. It's rather nice to be able to shut off my macbook at work, walk out the door, and not have to think about working again until I'm back in the office. I sometimes got to be like that in undergrad, and absolutely never experienced that in the few short weeks I was a graduate student. I deeply enjoy being able to go back to the house, Skype with my fiance, play Tiny Tower, read, and go to bed without being ridiculously freaked out that I'm wasting my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment