Thursday, September 6, 2012

Random Thoughts

So...I thought I moved to a standard, midwestern state (I like to think I know what meets the criteria to call something midwestern since I'm from Chicago and all), but I think I was deeply confused.

Where I am living now can only be described as hell.  And no, I'm not just talking about how badly the university here has treated me.  Or how the things I prefer to buy brand-wise are ridiculously expensive here as opposed to Chicago (where every freaking thing is ridiculously expensive).  I mean it's hot enough here to literally be hell.  

The past four days, the temperature here has been no less than 105 degrees. It is literally killing me.  Even the air conditioning (which I've given up and started running, even though I can't afford it) doesn't do much. I've never ever missed freezing my ass off while walking to school in Chicago more than I do right now. 

Besides that, the sublease hunt continues...




I contacted a lady yesterday, and she seemed slightly interested, but I haven't heard back from her as of yet. I'm trying to be hopeful, but it's hard. What makes it all the more frustrating is I got an email from someone saying they were interested in the apartment last night, and after hearing back from them again this morning...I'm almost positive they're just a scam.  They were all, "Don't worry, my boss will pay for everything, so I need all of your information so my boss can send you a check." Um, yeah no. Just on the weird off chance that it's not, I wrote back saying nothing could happen unless they came here to the office and signed the new lease (and of course didn't give them any information). Haven't heard back after that. Oh, just realized the same person has been emailing me from multiple email addresses.  Definitely an attempted scam.

I'm going to continue to try to find a subleaser (obviously I don't want to pay for this apartment if I can find someone else to), but if in the next month or so I don't, I'm going to head back on up to the good old state of Illinois, where there are shops/department stores/malls aplenty (out here...unless I want to go  to JCPenney or Walmart, I have to drive over thirty miles). Plus, Illinois has a higher minimum wage, so while looking for a full-time job, I can work for 25 hours a week, at absolutely minimum wage, and still have some money left over at the end of the month to put away, even still paying for the apartment. So I'd be making money instead of throwing my wedding fund away.

As a side note, I'd love to have a part-time job at a craft store (particularly Jo-Ann's or Michaels), but my paycheck would never make it home. I'd definitely spend it all there.

To pass the time, I've begun packing my apartment back up. Good thing I didn't throw away all of my boxes. 


I love living amongst boxes. Actually, it's not really that bad. As you can see, I managed to get ALL of my books packed up today, with the exception of three I've left out to read while I'm here. The three I left out, if anybody cares, are some book called Pompeii, Anna Karenina, and a book by one of my two favorite authors, JR Ward, called Envy. Haha the three most prominent books in that picture are Freud's The Ego and the Id, a philosophical book by Rousseau, and a book on Japanese history/culture. Way to be so strictly academic, MJ, especially when you're leaving academia.

So for the rest of this week...I'm probably going to just continue on stalking housing wanted boards and at least once more repost my apartment ad to get it back up to the top of the page.  Read. Oh, and crochet my sister something for her birthday. I know I'm early (it's in November), but I stumbled on this green yarn flecked with black, brown, and grey, and it reminded me of a frog (she's obsessed with frogs), so I just knew it was screaming her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment