Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Well...here goes nothing....

I've never done anything comparable to this before, so I'm not really all that sure where to begin. A family member (albeit one I'm not super happy with right now) suggested I start a blog to document this "big" transition in my life, so I'm giving it a whirl.

Anyway, to start with, I'm moving from a small Chicago suburb in nine days to a not-so-much-larger town in another random state. Why? To start graduate studies. Back in April, I accepted a PhD offer in the geology department of a university to study vertebrate paleontology. 





Family's supportive of course...some of my friends are as well. But even though they're supportive, I know that they all thought I was a little off in my reasoning when I was applying to graduate programs. One professor who I asked to write a letter of recommendation for me said, and I quote, "these big schools are going to balk" at me because I have no applicable scientific experience. BALK. How rude. Well, I proved him wrong because this university was willing to take that chance on me. Even offered full support for four years. I mean, I know that my undergraduate degree is in pure mathematics, but my undergrad institution didn't offer any geology courses (nor did I think at the time that's what I'd be doing graduate studies in...). 


And, to top all of that off, I'm recently engaged (well...not super recently but within the last nine months). My fiance is in the Navy, so we're currently doing the long distance thing because obviously, there's no place for naval ships in the middle of a landlocked state. Or Chicago for that matter. We're hoping he'll be finishing his enlistment soon. But until then...Skype and phone calls and text messages. Our wedding is exactly eighteen months from today. So I'll be planning a Chicago area wedding from 500 miles away in a different state. 


I'm currently waiting on the paperwork to be mailed to my parents' house on my apartment in the new state so I can pay my first rent payment. I'm really excited to have an apartment; it is (or will be once he gets to this new state) my fiance's and my second apartment (we lived together for four months earlier this year). 


That's all I have for now. I'm hoping to be updating this at least once a week or so. I'll be signing off for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment